Blue Tube is finished just about the same way as fiberglass or paper bodies with one exception. Dave Ebersole at Always Ready Rocketry recommends sealing the tube with a sanding sealer. His recommendation is Cabot Sanding Sealer and I used that for the BOTC84 finishing.
1 Aug 2018
- Filled the grooves on the electronics bay outer ring with Elmer’s Carpenter’s Wood Filler. I then coated it with Cabot Sanding Sealer as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Sanded it with 400 grit sandpaper.
- Filled the grooves of the upper body tube with the wood filler. Let it dry and sanded off the excess.
3 Aug 2018
- Sanded the upper body tube and wiped it down with a damp cloth. Applied Cabot Sanding Sealer to the tube.
4 Aug 2018
9 Aug 2018
10 Aug 2018
12 Aug 2018
Masked off all the holes, screws, and the base of the air frame in preparation of priming and painting.
15 Aug 2018
- Once the sanding sealer had completely dried, sanded all the surfaces to be painted with 360-grit sand paper.
- Applied two coats of gray primer to all the parts to be painted.
16 Aug 2018
23 Aug 2018
The decals have been applied and now a few more coats of clear gloss and the job will be done!
The rest of the BOTC84 rocket construction pages can be accessed from this link: The BOTC84 Rocket Build