The Tampa Tripoli Prefecture launch is this Saturday (June 16). Weather permitting, I will be attempting my Tripoli Level Two certification with a Binder Design Excel dual-deploy kit. Here is my dual-deploy rocket checklist for this weekend’s launch.
This checklist covers items that need to be taken care of before you get to the launch site. Let’s get started…
Updated: 24 November 2018
Before Arriving at the Launch Site
- Power on your altimeter/flight computer to make sure it works and is configured for your anticipated flight profile.
- Charge any rechargeable batteries needed for your rocket.
- Measure out at least two flights worth of black powder for your ejection charges.
- Open the electronics bay and check all connections for soundness and continuity.
- Inspect shock cords, blast protectors, parachutes, and recovery hardware.
In Your Preparation Area
- Insure that the on/off switch is OFF.
- Insert a new battery into the battery holder and secure it.
- Connect and check the continuity of the following connections:
- On/Off Switch
- Main parachute
- Drogue parachute
- Close the electronics bay
- Connect and secure the ejection charges to each bulkhead of the electronics bay.
Lower Body Tube
- Check the lower shock cord attachment to the motor mount.
- Attach drogue/main parachute to the lower shock cord.
- Connect the blast protection blanket to the lower shock cord.
- Attach the lower shock cord to the aft end of the electronics bay with a shock cord protector.
- Place the electronics bay on the lower body tube. Check for snug fit.
Upper Body Tube
- Check the upper shock cord attachment to the nose cone.
- Attach drogue/main parachute to the upper shock cord.
- Connect the blast protection blanket to the upper shock cord.
- Attach the upper shock cord to the fore end of the electronics bay with a shock cord protector.
- Place the upper body tube assembly on the fore end of the electronics bay.
- Install the shear pins to secure the upper body tube to the electronics bay.
- Prepare the engine by following manufacturer’s instructions.
- Insure the ejection charge in the motor is removed.
- Insert engine into motor mount and secure with motor retaining system.
- Tape the igniter to the outside of the rocket.
- Check rail buttons/lugs for soundness.
- Present for inspection.
At the Pad
- Insure the pad is not armed.
- Place rocket on rod/rail, get assistance if needed
- Put rod/rail in vertical launch position
- Turn on flight computer; listen for the appropriate health tones.
- Turn on other electronics such as cameras, beacons, and altimeters.
- Insert and secure the motor igniter.
- Check the continuity of the ignition circuit.