The Tampa Tripoli Prefecture launch is this Saturday (June 16). Weather permitting, I will be attempting my Tripoli Level Two certification with a Binder Design Excel dual-deploy kit. Here is my dual-deploy rocket checklist for this weekend’s launch.
This checklist covers items that need to be taken care of before you get to the launch site. Let’s get started…
Before Arriving at the Launch Site
- Power on your altimeter/flight computer to make sure it works and is configured for your anticipated flight profile.
- Charge any rechargeable batteries needed for your rocket.
- Measure out at least two flights worth of black powder for your ejection charges.
- Open the electronics bay and check all connections for soundness and continuity.
- Inspect shock cords, blast protectors, parachutes, and recovery hardware.
In Your Preparation Area
- Insure that the on/off switch is OFF.
- Insert a new battery into the battery holder and secure it.
- Connect and check the continuity of the following connections:
- On/Off Switch
- Main parachute
- Drogue parachute
- Close the electronics bay
- Connect and secure the ejection charges to each bulkhead of the electronics bay.
Lower Body Tube
- Check the lower shock cord attachment to the motor mount.
- Attach drogue/main parachute to the lower shock cord.
- Connect the blast protection blanket to the lower shock cord.
- Attach the lower shock cord to the aft end of the electronics bay with a shock cord protector.
- Place the electronics bay on the lower body tube. Check for snug fit.
Upper Body Tube
- Check the upper shock cord attachment to the nose cone.
- Attach drogue/main parachute to the upper shock cord.
- Connect the blast protection blanket to the upper shock cord.
- Attach the upper shock cord to the fore end of the electronics bay with a shock cord protector.
- Place the upper body tube assembly on the fore end of the electronics bay.
- Install the shear pins to secure the upper body tube to the electronics bay.
- Prepare the engine by following manufacturer’s instructions.
- Insert engine into motor mount and secure with motor retaining system.
- Tape the igniter to the outside of the rocket.
- Check rail buttons/lugs for soundness.
- Present for inspection.
At the Pad
- Insure the pad is not armed.
- Place rocket on rod/rail, get assistance if needed
- Turn on flight computer; listen for the appropriate health tones.
- Turn on other electronics such as cameras, beacons, and altimeters.
- Insert and secure the motor igniter.
- Check the continuity of the ignition circuit.